Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Scott Kelby's 2nd Annual World Wide Photowalk 2009 & Playing with my images


On July 18Th,2009, I and many others around the world became participants of an international Photo walk. Where groups of photographers walked their local streets to shoot together, have fun, and learn new things from one another. You can discover more information about the walk at this site.

I was lucky enough to be a member and participant for the Walk in Delray Beach, FL. In our group we had about 23 that participated that day. Which after the first initial group meet up we broke off into smaller groups to walk the streets down Atlantic Ave. This was such a great experience and I was so proud of myself for even attending such an event. I got to meet some really nice people along the way. As well as, capturing some really great images in the end.

Even though the temperatures were blistering hot(Record Highs), I still enjoyed myself during and after the walk. When I came home and began to edit and revise my shots I realised just how hard the last portion of the walk was going to be.

You see not only was this an international photo walk but they were giving away prizes to the photographers with the images voted the best of the best. We had to pick two at most for the walk to enter into the competition by July 25Th, 2009. The first choice was easy but the second not so much. The first one was only easy because it was a winner from when it was first entered into my view finder, into the Camera's Compact Flash, presented onto the LCD screen, and later exposing itself onto my computer screen in black and white. It was an instant winner and my number one pick for the day based on SOOC (Straight out of Camera) shots. As for the second choice... I'm still not sure, as after I came home to edit and revise I found the more and more I did the harder it was getting for me to choose the right one. I've got it narrowed down to about 4 but from there its getting harder. They are all unique in their own right. So, it's getting down to being really nit picky about which one would be better for the competition in general. And that answer my friends, will have to be further discussed later when I can no longer upload. As I am still in decisive mode.

On a side note, I wanted to discuss an image on here that I did play with but will not be entered into the competition because I feel that the editing was tremendous. But tremendous and well worth the effort of displaying just not the right kind for the contest at hand. I put a lot of work into this one. The original image to me would have been one that was a throw away or mess with later as the focal range wasn't up to par and the composition though it had some interests it wasn't really what I was looking for.

So, by using PSP editing software I went in and played with the different layers trying to displace the in focus grass background which I felt did not belong there. And after playing with it and a mural image(I shot the same day), for hours, added in some coloring and Viola!
The first image is what I came up with after all that work. Which is what I was looking for in the first place. Something mystical and Fantasizing hypnotically. Something that resembled under the water as the mermaid was guarding her shells.

For some strange reason I seemed to be in fantasy land that day as most of my images I came up with have that mystical, fantasy land type feel to them. Has anyone else ever discovered this? That some days you come home to edit your images and find you subconsciously had some sort of theme going on in your head? Or that you come home disappointed that a shot you took didn't turn out as planned or after editing it came out so much better than the original in the first place? I surely have.

If you are curious and would like to see more of what I came up with that day you may have a go at this link.

In all, this experience was one I'll never forget and will definitely do again. :) As I completely enjoyed myself!

No comments: